Access to space can provide practical and valuable benefits to all humankind. The Space Applications Department examines the various applications on Earth that are offered by space technologies with a primary focus on Earth-orbiting satellite systems, ground systems, and end-user equipment hardware and software. Key areas of focus include:
- Satellite communication systems and services
- Remote sensing and Earth observation
- Geographic information systems (GIS)
- Satellite navigation systems
The Department explores enabling space technologies and their scientific benefits and societal applications. Themes range from telecommunication fundamentals to remote sensing image processing/interpretation, global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), GIS data management, and avionics. Workshops and demonstrations provide hands-on training with hardware and software for satellite payload development, image processing (optical, radar), global positioning systems (GPS), and data analysis. Professional visits to local facilities provide further insight into civilian and commercial space applications.
Participants will be able to:
- Engage in a variety of workshops, demonstrations, and professional visits that explore enabling space technologies and their applications.
- Develop proficiency in technological hardware and software for image processing, telecommunications, GIS, and GPS.
- Design and complete a research project emphasizing the application of space technologies and present results in oral and written formats.
- Participate in group activities in an interdisciplinary and intercultural environment.